Re: [MV] Avis Saracen Mk 6 APC Engine Performanance Question

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 21:26:23 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Orsillo" <orsillo@orthstar.com>
To: "Military Vehicles List" <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 3:59 PM
Subject: [MV] Avis Saracen Mk 6 APC Engine Performanance Question

> Hi fellow readers of the mil-veh list:
>
> I am looking for input on improving the performance of a B80 petrol
Rolls
> Royce engine.
> I have a 1970 Avis Saracen Mk6 APC with only 900+ miles logged. It runs
> little hot and I am wondering what I can do to improve its performance.
As
> of this date, we have flushed the radiator, put on new hoses and belts,
and
> added a new thermostat.

I don't know what "a little hot" means. You have seen the advice about the
reverse flow cooling already and the essential need for the radiator cowl.
With the correct thermostat a steady 80C is to be expected.

The transmission on all Alvis 600 series chassis takes many miles to warm up
the copious supply of 90EP in bevel boxes and hubs and noticeable gains in
performance are seen after it all gets hot.

Ignition timing is crucial and generally misunderstood, it requires the
distributor to be off the vehicle and a jig used to critically set the
relative timing between the point pairs which fire _alternate_ cylinders,
before re-fitting and timing one set relative to the engine which can only
be done statically and is set for 0deg to 2deg AFTER TDC. On no account use
a strobe with the engine running as centrifugal advance is intentionally
applied at idle.

Mis-timing will cause a loss of power and extra heat, it is over 8.5 tons of
seriously lossy transmission being pushed along by just 165HP @ 3750rpm so
don't expect too much, you can readily re-fit the common Stalwart B81 of
235HP for a performance boost.

Richard
Southampton - England