Report on M-35A3's

From: CERANTHIA@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 08:11:12 PDT

Hello everyone, I had several chances to check out the "New" M-35A3
trucks,but something always came up to stop me. So I finally got to it last
friday afternoon,and boy did I get an eyeful,and an earful from the guys in
the guard. First off I am a traditionalist who loves old things so I'm
prejudiced to start,but I have to tell you that I was very impressed with the
new design. The advantages of the new design blew me away. Electric wipers!!!
Front and rear air conditioning and heat,even for the troops in the troop
seats--such luxury!!! Auto tire inflation/deflation!!! Automatic
transmissions with high/low ranges!!! Big ass tires(14.5 X 20)!!! Standard
deep water kits!!! Hydraulic power steering!!! Cruise control!!! Now the
disadvantages. Horrible fuel mileage. Auto tire inflation systems are
computer controlled and always screwed up. Automatic transmissions slip like
crazy--no power. And because of the larger tires there have been numerous
cases of catastrofic wheel bearing failure which has sheared off spindles and
caused wheels to separate from their vehicles,usually on the highway at
"high" speed. The A3's are now "grounded" by the Ma Ntnl Guard until the
problems are solved by the manufacturer. I talked to several people in
vehicle maint units who said they like the new A3 design,but hate the trucks
because they don't trust them like the old M-35's. Their off road capability
is horrible because of the automatic trans problems and the auto inflation
systems are a nightmare for these guys to maintain. Several of the units
have gone back to using their old M-35's because of these problems. This has
caused another problem!!! The new recruits can't drive sticks. These kids
learned on automatics,they have no clue. One of the training units is down
the street from my building so they have to drive past me all day. You should
hear the sound of grinding gears--all day--everyday!!!
All in all,I think once they iron out the problems the new A3's will be great
trucks. Even with the problems,I really-really want one!!! As soon as I can
I'm going to take one for a ride. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm
already brainstorming about electric wipers for my beast. Take care--Mike.

Mike Colerick
Plymouth,Ma.
MVPA# 20487
1969 Kaiser/Jeep M-35A2C
God Bless America,and all in uniform!!!!!!!!!!!!!