Re: [MV] It's all in the look!... uniform and the wearing of etc...

From: Tim (tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 13:38:51 PDT

I have read all the comments with interest.

Here's mine ...

Having been at Beltring as part of a World War Two living history display
(Summer of 44... we were by the arena exit gate), specifically portraying a
British Airborne unit rear area stores and HQ, I can confirm that at no time
did anyone complain about our dress code, our attitude, our attention to
detail, our Jeeps laiden with kit, the deliberately ill dressed,
deliberately ill shaven soldier on jankers, and some gentlemen with not so
thin waist lines, and an average age of 30.

I'm sure there are many good reasons to complain about some groups and
individuals, however for the one or two that dont meet the mark, there were
a hell of a lot of individuals within the living history display area who
spent a lot of time and effort trying to get it right (and money). I concurr
not everyone has had the benefit (?) of combat experience to fall back on...
myself included... but is that really essential ?

We were awarded Best Living History Display in show... so someone out there
thought we were getting it right... in addition we had several veterans of
21st Independent Parachute Company as guests over the weekend, from whom we
have written permission to use their insignia and the highly coveted Red
Beret. In addition we have been given exclusive access to the veterans club
records and archive to assist us with getting it right.... and yet I'm sure
we still have a long way to go, and I doubt will ever achieve perfection.

To cap that we have now been asked to attend the interment of the ashes of a
21st IPC veteran in Oosterbeek War Cemetery this September by his widow whom
has asked for us to be present in WW2 British Airborne uniform... indeed a
great honour.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there are ways to go about things... our
method was to approach the Veterans Club of the unit we were interested,
gain their approval and assistance to get the right equipment, the right
uniform, the right insignia and wear it as well as we can, bearing in mind
we're definitely not all fit young 20 yr olds.

Sticking a uniform on to go running around in the woods with a gun isnt
really our thing, painstaking research which hopefully will result with a
re-write of the "official" history and roll of honour of the 21st
Independent Parachute Company.... is.

Ultimately... if you have a problem with what we do... stop us and talk to
us, we're more than happy to receive criticism that's justified and well
founded, so we can learn and improve.

Cheers

Tim