Parking brake--overdrive M38A1

From: J310L@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 18:18:31 PDT

Hi,

This is what I did. Move rod for emergency brake back 3"; maybe there is a
hole already in handle, if not drill a hole for rod and another hole 1/2"
dia. below in floor. Put pin with cotter key in hole where rod was. Bend
rod a little approx. 4" up from center hole on clives towards passenger side.
 Use a 5/16" x 3 1/2" bolt double-nut to connect brake shoe arm rod. Then
use a weak spring on arm to keep it from rubbing on brake drum. You get one
or two clicks but this will hold vehicle. This worked well for me and
haven't had any problems. Make sure brake shoes are loose so as not to ride
the shoes on drum causing them to wear out.

Sorry this took so long to reply but I have been busy. Hope this helps you
with your Warn overdrive unit. BTW, I had to make up the linkage for the
shift lever as I did not have that item. I contacted Adaptors Unlimited in
CA and they only had the linkege for their updated version of the Warn
overdrive which was the same except the new version connects the shift rod at
the rear of the unit and mine connects at the front of the unit.

Please let me know how this works out.

Claude
53 M38A1
MVPA # 20758

PS If you will be at the Tobbyhanna Show in PA, maybe I'll see you there.