Re: [MV] Sorry but In Canada we can flash

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 23:59:55 PDT

Another use for yellow flashing light is at AIRSHOWS when your vehicle is
going on the "air side".

Air Traffic Controllers and pilots like to see FOD (foreign object debris
:-) ) well technically our jeeps may not be that, except to Concordes, but
they do make pilots and ATC nervous when out on the "air side".

Yesterday I had my 1944 Willys MB at the Abbotsford Air Show in British
Columbia on display in RCAF markings (for 401 Spitfire squadron RCAF which
was commanded by my Dad's best friend in NW Europe in 126 Wing, 83 Composite
Group, 2nd Tactical Air Force). I wore my modern air force uniform (yes
there are old fat people in modern uniforms still serving but I'm not 'fat'
yet though ... :-) My friend Michael DesMazes wore a WWII RCAF Tropical
Worsted (TW or "TeeDubs") uniform that had been worn on the Abbotsford
airfield in WWII when it was a B-24 /B-25 base for the RAF & RCAF (5
Operational Training Unit - was the LARGEST unit in the Commmonwealth air
forces) with over 100 a/c.

At the airshow were a Spitfire Mk. IX (ex-actor Cliff Robertson), Sea Fury
(ex-RAAF), Corsair (CAF - Confederate Air Force that is, not Canadian Air
Force - See the confusion that occurs when our government drops the word
"Royal" from names!), and some training planes such as Harvards, Tiger Moth
etc. Well, OK there were a lot of modern planes too such as a CF-18,
Jaguar, F-15 Eagle, B1 bomber, C5 Galaxy (with a circle of rope stanchions
beside it and a sign saying "F117 STEALTH" - no stealth was visible, but
then of course, its not supposed to be is it? )The F117 and F-86 Sabre were
no shows this year but have been here in the past.

 I wanted to drive the pilots out to their WWII aircraft, BUT as I arrived
on the airfield and drove across a grassy field to the display point next to
the DAREOD [a new M113 APC with MG turret and bulldozer "V blade, and rigged
for airfield bomb clearing and airfield repair] a front wheel brake
cyclinder blew on my jeep! At the end of the show I gingerly followed the
M113 back to its compound (I figured if I rear ended him he would not
notice!) and we crimped the brake line. Was later able to fit a plug and
refill and bleed the brakes and get home just before dark. Whew! An exciting
day!

An interesting military self-propelled piece of transport was on display in
a travelling museum trailer of the Lord Strathcona's Horse (100th
Anniversary). It is a stuffed horse of theirs that was one of 6 killed in a
traffic accident and then stuffed in various poses.

So.... NEXT year I plan to have my jeep's brakes at 100% AND have a battery
operated (?) yellow stobe light for my jeep to use at airshows (or for if I
get stuck out on the road after dark). Now there was a GORGEOUS WWII RAF
style IRVINE leather flying jacket UK made replica for sale at the air show
which would have gone nicely with my jeep...

I already use a large red reflector triangle indicating slow vehicle. I tie
it onto my Jerrican strap of my jeep when in transit, and pop it off when I
display the vehicle.

NO reflectors or lights on my BSA airborne bicycles though! On the other
hand I don't ride them so ...

By the way I displayed a folded BSA airborne bicycle on the front of my jeep
and about five people asked it came with the jeep when I got the jeep! [What
do you think?]

I let kids (and some cute ladies) sit in the jeep and the first time I
turned my back, someone had their little kid dancing on the hood ('bonnet'
to you Brits) of my jeep - on my large freshly painted - but dry - RAF
roundel. $@$#%&$%#^@

My friend Michael (in WWII TW RCAF uniform - he is younger, skinny, has
short hair, is ex-military so he looked fine) was photographed quite a few
times staning up in the jeep like a Patton or like the fellow on Bart
vanderveen's newer edition of his WWII vehicle directory. The Canadian Air
Force photographer really liked him! I just wish Michael had rememebred to
polish his brass buttons though!

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor MAPLE LEAF UP (Est. 1977) newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB