Re: [MV] WTB CCKW stuff

From: Jeanne Lacourse (cckw@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 18:41:25 PDT

Wallace wade for the tires. Get tubes too as that are an odd size (now).

Which wheel cylinders, there are three types:

Banjo front
Split front
Either rear

The Banjo fronts and the rears are available through a good parts store

Rear = Wagner FD 3677 or EIS EW 3677
Banjo front = EIS EW 3406 passengers side only

The drivers side need a different hose if you are to use it. These are civy
truck numbers and the front ones have the hose coming straight in as opposed
to the mil ones pointed up at about a 30 degree angle. It is a problem on
the drivers side due to the steering arm. If you use a hose with a short
section of pipe at the end, it will work. You just cannot get the hose in
there.

The alternative it to use White Post in NC. They are quick and do a nice
job.

I have lost quite a few wheel cylinders over the years and all of them were
rusted from the outside in. Use never-sieze on the adjusting threads on the
rear and pack the caps with grease to prevent water from entering the piston
area. Also take a punch and drive it into the shoe guides to open them up a
little so that a little rust or gunk will not cause them to bind or get hung
up.

On the fronts, (banjo only) grind down the area under the return spring to
give it a little more clearance. REPLACE the SPRINGS!!!!! If a spring is
starting to curl up, it is going to FAIL!

Robert-O-Motor Parts of West Newbury Mass had the (civy) wheel cylinders.
Tell them you have a 1946 chevrolet 1.5 ton truck.

Good luck

Steve AKA Dr Deuce