Thomas Gould's inquiry

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 16:04:54 PDT

Thomas......I don't know about your M35 or any M35 at that matter
but.......First, measure the actual M35A2 you are anticipating buying or
putting on the road! Tech manuals are nice but it's the vehicle that you
will be driving that counts, not the book.
Most legal dimensions are standardized from state to state and the max
dimensions exclude federally mandated safety devices such as the mirrors
which inevitably stick out much farther than anything else. (We are the
"United" States of America after all.)
I don't know New York State law and wouldn't presume to contradict that
fellow, but that 96" sounds like the standard width for manufacturing
commercial vehicles (most commercial trailers are 96" which is 8 feet.)
Here in Texas, it's 102" before enforcement can take place. So, with that
in mind, I got on the net and found a lil ol website for you...it is
http://www.dot.state.ny.us/ts/658.html click on definitions first and
check that out.....that way you'll know the lingo.....then click on 658.11
through 658.19 as ALL are important to you.
Why not print them out and visit with your Sergeant again and let him have a
look.....see what he says.....perhaps he's overlooked something......
Regards,
TJ Smith
San Antonio Police Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program
Commercial Motor Vehicle Inspector....License and Weight Certified
Enforcement officer