Reply to Clint

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 16:49:07 PDT

I think I know what you are talking about.......and mine had one bolted to
the vertical indshield pillar......sadly, it was a badly pitted nasty
unserviceable mess and I knew it wasn't a stock Scout item so I pitched it.
Don't kill me.....I can't save EVERYTHING!
Still I may have a better solution for you. I used to spend a lot of time
working on mil-vehs at a local museum and the half-tracks were parked in
very close quarters that required they be backed in. I solved the problem
in about 10 minutes with some light steel (angle iron mostly) which when
welded together provided a slot that hung over the top of the door armor.
The larger portion was on the inside of the door to provide some weight to
balance the stalk for the mirror. It was fitted close enough to be quite
secure even at speed, though it was only necessary to lift it straight up
about 1" to remove the whole thing to return to "combat" mode. The mirror
was a little round mirror which could be adjusted ......just like on jeeps
and such.
When the time comes I may go one better and get a plastic coated magnetic
base (like the ones on the wrecker remote lights and attach a stalk and
mirror that way......even better, huh? No muss...no fuss.
TJ