Re: [MV] bad trip! Some pintle hitch pointers

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 03:41:39 PDT

Jack,
You said:
>>This particular pintle hook is the one often mentioned on this list, sold
by many farm and family stores, by Northern Tool & Supply, etc. It is forged,
mounts with 4- 5/8" grade 8 bolts, and is rated on the box and the forging at
5 tons.<<

I tend to question the pintle hook's country of origin. Sounds like an import
of
a low quality steel hook.
For my towing needs, I made a pintle hook assembly similar to yours, using a
1/2" steel plate welded to a Reese square tube receiver and bolted an M151A2
pintle hook on. I regularly tow 1-1/2 ton M105A2 cargo trailers, many times
with
a full set of racks, bows, cargo cover and a partial load with my civilian
Chevy
Blazer. So far no signs of stress to the hook, bolts or plate.

You definitely had a nightmare of a trip, but thankfully there are lots of
great
people in this world that are willing to help a person in distress. I've met
some.
Like the time I was pulling a full load of nursery stock out to Pittsburgh
with my
tractor-trailer. When I applied the brakes while descending a steep grade,
some
worn lug wedges allowed a wheel to spin tearing off a valve stem (not my
trailer).
I was given the name of a man to see about getting the flat fixed and I drove
over to his place. He repaired the flat with a used tire tube, replaced
several
bad lug bolts and installed good wedges. Now, I'm seven hours from home and
all fixed up. This man (I don't recall his name) could have charged me a high
price, but he didn't. $41.00, that was it! Many times I've been helped while
on
the road, this is only one example. I'm certainly glad that you met some, too.
Joe Young
joeyoung.com