water blasting

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Aug 19 2000 - 08:12:03 PDT

Tom
My theory is, "buy the tools, do the job yourself and keep the tools for the
next project, for the cost of paying to have someone else do the work."
With that in mind, would you share with me exactly what you are using to
water blast by brand name and perhaps the supplier? I know very little
about them but as you have said, they have a reputation for doing a
tremendous job. I'd like to look into the possibility of getting one. I
can just see that old hardened grease getting blown away!
By the way my blaster is of an intermediate size and has a pressurized tank
(rather than a siphon type) which I bought at Northern Tools. By the way,
Northern stocks a sandblast media that is a sad second rate sand that breaks
down too easily, compared to the sand I have been getting at the materials
company. (For those of you who have been reading along and perhaps buying
from Northern exclusively, I get two go-rounds per bag of Northern sand,
whereas I get three go-rounds with the other stuff. A substantial savings!)
Having to refill often just gives me another reason to get out of the mask
and hood (its about 100 degrees every day here) but any other time that
would be a bit of a pain in the ass. I've found that the blaster performs
well with any reasonable gauge metal without causing it to warp. Sounds
like you have a really high pressure at 3500psi! Have you experimented on
lighter gauges? Also, does it tend to overcome oil seals and the like?
TJ