MUTT ROPS Padding

From: MThom15@aol.com
Date: Sat Aug 19 2000 - 09:09:20 PDT

    When I got my MUTT, I noticed the ROPS was covered in 2 inch black
electricians tape. It was quite old, and had been painted over when the MUTT
was painted last. When the paint hardened, so did the tape, and it started
to chip and fray.
    This morning I decided to take the top off and do some work on the inside
of the MUTT (mostly cleaning, and removing surface rust so I can repaint it).
 While I had the top off, I decided to take off some of the tape and find out
what's under it (big mistake!!). An hour later, I had removed the tape from
a 2 foot section, had a garbage can half full of tape, and was covered in old
adhesive. I found out there were 2 layers of the electrical tape, and 3
layers of the OD 100mph tape under that. It seems when the tape started to
look bad, they just taped over it, and they didn't take their time and do it
neatly either. Under all the tape is some foam, approximately 1/2" thick,
wrapped around the bar. It appears to be intact, but I haven't started
pulling off the rest of the tape yet.
    So what is supposed to be aroung the ROPS? Padding? Bare metal? Any
suggestions? Thanks.

Matt Thompson
MVPA #21737
1971 M151 A2