Re: [MV] A source of help on HR 4205/Demil

From: John Doherty (mofta@farmerstel.com)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 08:01:43 PDT

I agree whole heartedly. We must get as many involved as possible in order
to stop this before it can go further. Now, with congress in recess, we
have the short time to gain momentum, and inform people. Not just the
collectors, hobbyists and enthusiasts, but all the different groups that
might be affected by this possible legislation.

I've emailed my congressmen, notified associations of volunteer fire
fighters, and brought up the subject with anyone else that might feel
repercussions. Think in broad terms, and tell people about it. How many
groups of people do you know that benefit in some way from getting military
surplus or donations from the military and government? How many rural fire
departments, school groups, church groups, civic organizations would lose
some form of aid or donated equipment and supplies? Most Alabama counties
emergency services programs get a major portion of their equipment through
government programs. All of that could be jeopardized. I would imagine
that most other states local programs would be similar.

Speak up, and inform all these groups. Let them know about what could be
happening. Get more than just the HMV groups involved with this, and we
will gain a lot more support and public favor for stopping this proposed
legislation. It will definitely affect a lot of people if it takes place.
Taxpayers will have to foot the expenditures for this ridiculous idea, and
the cost could be staggering, if it goes through.

Use the freedom of speech to protect a few of the remaining freedoms that we
still have left. It's an election year, use that leverage to make the
politicians aware of how the people feel. Ask as many politicians as
possible, directly, how they stand on this proposed legislation. Let them
all know, that we're watching, and paying attention to it. Let them know
that all these things are important to us, and a lot more than us.

Somebody needs to let that group of little old ladies sitting under the
military surplus tent top/dining fly know that they might lose that source
of shade for their group meeting. That the old van used to transport the
elderly around town might have to be parked. That all those cots and
blankets in the homeless shelter might have to be replaced. That those big
green trucks used to bring them off the mountain when they're snowed in this
year, might not be coming for them next year. That those generators to
power their homes during that power outage, might not be available anymore.
That those 400 gallon water trailers might not be available. Tell those
folks out west that have been fighting all those forest fires, that a good
portion of that military surplus fire equipment won't be available to
protect them anymore. That all those air tankers, helicopters and brush
trucks, are going to have to be demilled again. Tell all the people in
emergency services groups everywhere, and listen to what they have to say,
and duck! It should start snowballing, and fast! A lot of that equipment
is not owned by municipalities, its owned by private individuals or groups,
or donated by folks to those groups.

Speak up! Speak out! Tell people about it. Ask them who they know that
might be affected by this. Ask them to join us in speaking out about it.

This goes way beyond military vehicles and us.

John