Re: [MV] Footman loop

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 20:14:02 PDT

Footman loops are the metal fittings that straps on a jeep pass through.

They look a bit like miniature glass suction cup handles (for moving panes
of glass) or like miniatures of the handles on the sides of a WWII MB/GPW
jeep. A bolt passes through each end to attach it to the jeep body. The
'handle' shape stands out from the body of the vehicle just enough to allow
a strap to pass under it.

Used for top straps, straps on jeep bows, straps for axe (ax in USA) and
shovel. British Airborne Forces added them to other parts of the jeep to
hold equipment on (e.g. hood/bonnet and front bumper.

British Army in 1945 called them "strap staples".(ref. Airborne jeep
conversion drawings)

At least three subtle variations have been noted between early and late Ford
GPW and Willys MB production (e.g. squarisgh shoulder on one version). See
"ALL AMERICAN WONDER" (Vol 1 or 2 I can't recall which offhand for drawings
of three variations). A Willys part number is "A-2168 Footman loop" (ref.
p. 135 of TM10-1186 Change No.1)

For some reason, these are one of the parts that civilians removed from most
surplus jeeps during the 1950s and 1960s along with rear seats, bows, bow
brackets and Jerrican carriers! :-(

CJ-2A may have some footman loops on the floor behind the front seats to
attach the 1/2 cab. M38 and M38CDN jeeps have the dimples in the metal for
mounting these, but the mounting holes were never drilled as the army did
not fit those cabs to their jeeps.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor MAPLE LEAF UP (Est. 1977) newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB