Re: [MV] Re(2): [MV] Ya see what I MEAN?

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 06:32:20 PDT

>Here in the UK the ONLY difference between red and white diesel is the dye.

But here in the US of A, home heating oil (#2 fuel oil) and off road diesel
(#2 diesel) are both high sulphur fuels. These are the old fashioned fuels,
nothing has changed with them but the color. When they made the switch to
low sulphur diesel they started the dye business standardising on yellow for
low and red for high sulphur. There were many problems caused in this
country when they made that overnight switch, mostly pump failures. Once an
engine has alot of time on it with high sulphur fuel the o-rings take a set,
which they do in any application. Switching to low sulphur fuel causes the
o-rings to contract very slightly. If the rings have taken enough of a set
then this slight contraction is just enough for them to start leaking. The
pump shop I use was overloaded with pump work right at the time that switch
took place and continued for months. Any pump starting out on low sulphur
fuel would be fine but the pump people still recomend an addative. I use the
Stanadyne stuff, blue bottle in the summer, red bottle in the winter.

Later,

je