Mental Mastrubation (HR-4205)

From: Enterprise B&B/Cayman Islands, BWI (Enterprise@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 23:31:11 PDT

I have seen a lot of postings here in the last 3-4 weeks about dhe demil
portion of HR-4205 (and I have done more than my share for sure) however
only a small portion have said they actually did something other than post
and talk. Talk ain't gonna do it! Talk may make us feel good but it
produces no lasting effect past the moment thus, "mental mastrubation".

Don't wait and assume someone, whoever, is going to read this list and take
some action. You should call, write, e-mail, whatever to whoever. A $0.33
stamp geta a letter to Spence, ditto for a $.09 phone call leaving a
message. Isn't there a list member in Spence's district? Common people, put
on your thinking caps. It's never too late. I can't believe no one on this
list lives close enough to D.C. that he/she can't try to get in to see
Spence personally. If we can spend often thousands and sometimes hundreds
of thousands of $$$ on or MVs (not including our time), then we can surely
spend some time and a very little $$ to protect our financial and emotional
investments. If I weren't in California and was near D.C., I would be
camping on the office doorstep of Spence, albeit to the distress of my wife.

I also am surprised Lee Holland has not posted something on the demil issue
here however before any judgment is passed, someone should speak w/him
personally. I intend to call him over the weekend and if he is as
passionate on the issue as I have been told, I feel he will speak to me and
give me information which is up to date. If/When I talk to Mr. Holland, I
will post what transpires and as a (former) attorney, I can do some pretty
good and respectful questioning.

Another lister wrote:

>"I very seriously doubt that Uncle Sam will be paying a visit to those of us
>who are already MV owners or militaria collectors in order to cut up our
>green stuff. It is inconceivable to me that this could be done without some
>serious constitutional issues being raised. So I won't be burying my Scout
>in the backyard this week."

Yes, the same constitutional issues which were raised regarding Waco and
Ruby Ridge. It may take a while and during that lull we will be in a
(false) sense of security but when that knock on the door comes, literally
or through the post office, don't be surprised. Remember, once the
government takes a position, it usually moves forward like a Sherman tank.
. . . without thought other than to accomplish it's given purpose and
without consideration of anything else.

Finally, as to making a Constitutional challenge of the demil portion of
the bill by way of a "Show Cause" or some other legal process, trust me,
it's not that easy and can cost a door and a tire (the analogy of the "an
arm and a leg"). And this is not to mention time which in Federal Court is
calculated in years at best.

Bottom line: ACT!

My 2mm worth.

David