Re: [MV] demil bill language

From: Ron (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 09:10:45 PDT

Sorry Folks but this quote is from the HR 4025 and paragraph 2 is the
killer:

`(f) DEFINITION OF SIGNIFICANT MILITARY EQUIPMENT- In this section, the term
`significant military equipment' means--
`(1) an article for which special export controls are warranted under the
Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2751 et seq.) because of its capacity for
substantial military utility or capability, as identified on the United
States Munitions List maintained under section 121.1 of title 22, Code of
Federal Regulations; and
`(2) any other article designated by the Department of Defense as requiring
demilitarization before its disposal.'.

It differs considerably from the senate version and gives the DoD the power
to call a Q-tip SME.

Ron