Re: [MV] Painting wood (troop seats)

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 23:26:48 PDT

Mike,
Sand the wood smooth and blow off the dust with some compessed air if you
have the means to do that. But by any means remove with worst of the dust.
Then take some shellac and thin it with denatured alcohol somewhat.....apply
with a rag evenly. Thinning will allow the shellac to get deeper into the
wood. 50-50 is about the most you ought to thin it. As you work, the
alcohol may even evaporate out causing the shellac to return to its original
thickness. Repeat the application of the shellac until you are satisfied
the pores of the wood grain are adequately sealed especially on the end
grain (the whole purpose of shellac is to seal the wood for paint or
varnish). Thinned shellac dries quickly but not so quick that you won't be
able to wipe up spots that were applied too heavily here or there. Follow
up with a very light sanding to remove those little rough spots but do not
remove your shellac coat. Apply your color coat as you would any other
paint. That's all there is to it!
TJ