Re: [MV] My earlier comment

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 06:15:15 PDT

>Having discussed the M35-Trailer-CDL situation with my local DOT
>supervisor. I was told that as long as the truck had Historic plates, the
>DOT boys would not look at it twice, and had no interest in it. But if used
>for commercial use, you better have your Class 1 CDL and the truck should
>be up to snuff.
>
>I am towing a 20K # capacity float with a M35. The float carries one of my
>M114s, a total towed weight of 17,500 pounds. The truck has historic motor
>plates. As you can see, the total combined weight would require a Class 1
>CDL for commercial use.

In this state you'd never get away with that. Historic plates, or Collector
plates they call them, do not allow for more than 500# of cargo. From
everything I have heard and read (as I am now studying the book for my
A-CDL) I do not need a CDL to drive an M35 as it's GVW is under 26k#, but if
I want to pull a trailer weighing more than 10k# then I need an A, unless
it's an RV but I have not figured out a way to call a bulldozer an RV yet.

je