Re: [MV] Fw: Synthetic oil, what the...?!

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 17:42:05 PDT

"Eugene PANTANO" <snoshu@market1.com> wrote:
> Name brand oils are fine..always have and always will be...BUT...what sort
> of lubricants do they use in aircraft ??? Where the best possible
> lubrication is a life or death situation..?? Hmmm...synthetic of course.

Hmm, I could be mistaken, but I think that a friend of mine who's a
pilot told me that Mobil 1 was briefly offered to the aviation
community, but that it was pulled from that market by Mobil due to
serious problems caused in certain types of aircraft engines.

I believe that he uses straight 60 weight oil in his T-28B. He says
that he once mentioned to a tech rep from the oil company that
produced his oil that he was considering switching to a multigrade
(and more expensive) oil form that manufacturer. The tech said, in a
nutshell "no, don't do that; your engine was made to use 60W oil, and
you should use 60W oil in it". Maybe things have changed since then,
but he said that at the time (several years ago), the multigrade oils
didn't have wearing properties as good as the straight stuff.

I figure that "miracle oil X" may or may not be better in *my* engine,
but until somebody shows me verifiable technical data that shows that
it is, I'll stick with the oil that was specified for *my* engine
(which happens to be plain old SAE 30 year-round in this area, because
it never gets very cold here). I certainly am not equipped to perform
the kind of rigorous technical evaluation that is necessary to
determine if a different oil would reduce wear in my particular model
of engine. Maybe Mobil 1 is better in my LDT-465-1C or DDA 6.2l
diesel, or maybe it's worse, but SAE 30 is definitely adequate for
both of them in my climate.

YMMV...

Anyway, I figure the posting that started this thread was meant to be
humorous, and I was certainly rolling of the floor laughing! I would
have laughed just as hard if the posting claimed that *not* using
synthetic oil would have those effects.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/