RE: [MV] More on HR4205.....Thank you EAA!

From: Brennan, John (john@pequotcap.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 08:47:10 PDT

> What would be a good definition to use for a "historic" or "collectable"
> vehicle (air, sea, or land)? I suppose the easiest definition would be
> based on age. In Texas, a vehicle can be registered as a classic when it
> is 25 years old. States seem to use age to define "historic" land
> vehicles, but what about sea and air. Maybe someone on the list can
> educate me. Is there any similar mecchanism to register older aircraft?
> What is the definition of a "classic" or "historic" aricraft? And what
> about sea? Is PT-3 defined as a historic boat by a legal definition?

The 25 year old definition doesn't work for those of us who happen to obtain
recent history MV's, namely the HMMWV. A definition needs to be created to
include any "young" MV's that legally get into a collectors hands. I have
been amazed what an eye opener this has been since I joined this hobby with
road blocks being thrown up at every turn. If anything it has made me more
aware of the law and my rights and how little the paper pushers really
understand them as I have consumed volumes of federal and state documents on
vehicle legislation. HR4205 has actually a good thing since it has forced
more of us to get involved in "our" government and with the people who work
for "us". Creating the described alliance with the other organizations
makes sense as there is political strength in numbers.

John
'93 M1038
MVPA 21318