Re: [MV] Deuce and a half front boot

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 19:27:06 PDT

>Hope I don't sound too dumb here but..... I recently got a 2.5 ton front
>boot to replace my split one. The new one has the zipper glued to it, but
>the boot is one continuous piece... I'm assuming I need to cut the boot
>underneath the zipper right? I'm just curious why they didn't do this
>during manufacture if in fact it should be cut.....

No it is not a dumb question. Yes you need to cut the rubber right over the
zipper. The reason why they are not supplied that way I assume is that if
you are doing a complete hub/knuckle job, like I did, then you are less
likely to have a leak if you put the boot on as your putting the knuckle on
and not cut thru the zipper. The manual has a proceedure for this but they
talk about some "sealer" that should have come with the boot I guess. Not
sure what "sealer" they are talking about, like a rubber cement, or a
silicone or??? Didn't matter for me because I installed the boots intact
but you'll need to find that part out. There is also a specific orientation
for the bolts on the wire bands, inner one (the smaller one) goes at 12
o'clock and the outer ones go about 45 degrees forward of 12 o'clock ( 10
to 11 o'clock on the left side and 1 to 2 o'clock on the right side). When
I took mine off they seemed to have been put on at random. If those inner
ones are not correct the bolt will scrape on the inside of the knucle, which
mine had been doing. Can't help but think that if the wire band is rubbing
on the knuckle that it would be flexing itself and the rubber boot all the
time which I would think might lead to leakage or breakage.

Good luck,

je