GM Diesel failures

From: Robin Craig (therobincraig@home.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 00:45:45 PDT

I worked for over 3 1/2 years as the on staff welder in an automotive and
diesel engine rebuild shop, and would like to add my 2 cents worth of
observations.

Failures in the heads were most often at the end cylinders between the valve
seats. That head can be saved by removing the plugs on the side of the head
and a liner inserted through that passageway, and then the head
reconditioned. For my money get an OEM head and rebuild block accordingly.

Cylinders themselves exhibit pinholes in the back ones ( as do some Ford HD
diesels) and water gets into the cylinder and you can hydraulic the motor
easily this way. Have an aquantaince to whom the cost of a new motor for his
Civvy Hummer was too much and it went to the USA, shame.

Early cranks have had a history of snapping, that was pointed at ether usage
during cold starts up here in Canada for a while.

I believe that the 6.2 and 6.5 na and 6.5 turbo are just the same as any
other engine, they will grenade eventually, its just you hear alot more
about unreliable Hummers than you do about unreliable GMC cube vans......

Targetmaster new replacement engines from GM themselves up here in Canada
are a very competitive buy for the consumer against the cost of a rebuilt
engine that you supply. It comes with a very good warranty and often exceeds
most rebuild shop warranties. For my money that would be the peace of mind
way to go.

I'm sure the "ghost", you know who you are Arthur James ^**%@ would add some
more too this but he's strictly a watcher, a shame for us as he sees so
much.

all the best, and I don't work for GM btw.

Robin Craig