Is my AMMETER hooked up backwards??

From: Kelly, Robert (Robert_Kelly@FCEINC.COM)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 06:05:53 PDT

Help!

This is likely a stoopid question(s):

The FACTS:

1942 GPW

New rebuilt 6v, 40a generator.
NOS 6v, 40a voltage regulator as pulled from the sticky, greasy paper and
still sealed.
Repro wiring kit installed to the the best of my abilities.
Connections as follows: 1) wire coming from dash area connected to the
regulator terminal closest to battery (ie; with the top of the reg. facing
you and the terminals UP, it is the right hand term.) 2) center regulator
terminal connected to the armature on generator 3) rearmost regulator
terminal connected to field. I can't see the markings on the reg. but I
think its hooked up right based on all of the manuals and circuit diagrams
I can put my hands on.

With ignition OFF, main headlights ON, ammeter reads/moves to the POSITIVE
range. With lights still on, engine running at low idle, ammeter reads a
steady "0". At anything over idle, ammeter needle goes to NEGATIVE. The
ammeter, when the vehicle is runing at anything over a low idle without
lights on, appears to behave correctly, that is, the needle jumps to the far
negative range for a moment then slowly settles back to the halfway point
between 0 and far neg. range. With the lights on (under load) the needle
settles back a little ways towards 0.

I have not done anything to "polarize" my generator as I am hesitant to
start grounding out wires, even momentarily, until I am sure I'm doing it
right. Can anyone tell me EXACTLY which terminal (Field, Armature or ground)
must be jumpered to which terminal on the voltage regulator or battery?

I my battery charging but the ammeter is hooked up backwards? I remember
when wiring my dash that the wires provided in the wiring kit seemed like
they could only fit one way and they were just long enough to attach to the
terminals on the ammeter, circuit breaker and the radio filter. Is my wiring
ok and my gererator is incorrectly polarized?

Any help or peace of mind you all can give me would be great as I need to
drive the thing for a little ways this weekend to downtown Cleveland for the
submarine exhibit and cause I wanna see the big airshow.

Thanks all!!