Re: [MV] CA hardtop law?

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 08:49:08 PDT

"Randy Orpe" <sgtorpe@sierratel.com> wrote:
> Well that's a new one. I guess we won't be able to register some new SUVs
> either because they have soft tops too.
[...]
> Cab tops are not an issue ( so don't bring it up ), operational
> brakes and lights are.

I didn't have any trouble with my soft top/soft door HMMWV, and I've
never been stopped, even when driving with the doors off, and smiling
and waving at motorcycle cops, wearing clothes which don't look
anything like any military uniform.

There's no vehicle safety inspection for new registrations in CA.
There's a VIN verification inspection (which can be performed by the
DMV, a peace officer, or a VIN verification service), and you'll need
a weight certificate. Although proper lights are required, there is no
inspection to verify that they're there prior to registration. Note
that backup lights are required in CA, and most MVs do not have them.
I added them to my HMMWV (details are on my web page), and plan to add
them to my 2.5-ton, too.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/