Re: [MV] Is my AMMETER hooked up backwards??

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 14:14:32 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <mblair1@home.net>
To: "Military Vehicles List" <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2000 3:34 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Is my AMMETER hooked up backwards??

> So, it might be backwards; I don't know what they meant by "+",
> because I've only seen "C"/"D" meters in cars, but the behavior seems
> consistent with a functional charging system, and it's conventional
> in electrical engineering for power supplies with ammeters to indicate
> positive current when they're supplying power (i.e., when your battery
> is being discharged, if you think of it as a power supply), and to
> indicate negative current if power is being forced into the supply
> from an external source (often right before the magic smoke comes
> out and the supply stops working :-).

Agree with all up to here, the normal vehicular convention is for the
ammeter to read on the "+" side when the battery ("power store") is being
supplied with current by the generator (power supply) and therefore "-" when
you are loosing power, or discharging, from the "store".

It is as simple as just changing the leads over on the terminals of the
ammeter.

Richard
Southampton - England