1984 MUTT Questions

From: Anith@wfp.org
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 08:19:55 PDT

Dear List,

1. The body of my 1984 MUTT appears to be made of thinner guage of steel
than that of the earlier MUTTs. This is obvious especially when I open the
hood. It feels much lighter than those of other MUTTs. The fenders are
thinner than those of other earlier model MUTTs that I have seen. However,
no part of the body has been changed.

Is this normal in late A2s? If yes, what was the reason for the change? Did
they make any Aluminium bodied MUTTs in the '80s? If so, is there any clear
identification marks on these MUTTs?

2. At present I have 6.50 x 16 tyres on the original 16 inch rims. Here in
Sudan, one does not get good 6.50 or 7.00 x 16 tyres anymore. Since I want
to go for bigger size, can I go for LT235/85 R 16 that are available? Will
they fit on to the original rims? I do not want to change the original
rims.
My usage is mainly on-road. What are the advantages/disadvantages if I fit
these tyres? And any effect on the vehicle performance?

3. Would anybody post a picture on the web of a late 1984 MUTT dashboard? A
few things (probably switches) are missing on mine.

Please help!

Anith Suvarna