Re: [MV] 1984 Mutts?

From: JStinson90@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 14:53:16 PDT

Julian;

 I am so glad to find someone with the knowledge about the MUTT's like you
have!!!
 So, please tell me all about the 1971 AM Gen. M151A2 that I have that is
made of GALVANIZED steel?!?! Please!!!
 It has been told to me that they use to make replacement bodies for the
MUTT. Where, you just order a new bodies and put all your stuff off the old
rusted out one and even change the data plate over to the new one. So, this
would mean that you would never know the real date of the Mutt. Supposedly
this was going on in the 80's because the army didn't want to buy the hole
jeeps because the HUMVEE was on the way in the system. I have never been able
to confirm or denie this story!!!!!!!!
 Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!

 Your "JEEP" nut!!!!!!!!
           Jeff
 MVPA # 18907

 << Well, it's time I get back on my platform and see if I can clarify this
posting:
  "1. The body of my 1984 MUTT appears to be made of thinner gauge of steel
  they make any Aluminum bodied MUTTs in the '80s? If so, is there any clear"
  I would be very interested in looking at a 1984 M-151A2. The reason is
  because none were manufactured. The last production from AM General was
  around the fall of 1978. The next production and the LAST production from
  AM General for M-151A2's were in a 1985 contract for the Pakistan Gov't for
  1200 units. That was it for A2's and all were exported. As far as a jeep
  being made out of thinner gauge steel later on (or any time for that matter)
  would not be possible as the units produced were as per gov't
  specs/protocol. Each part is specified and each manufacturing step is
  outlined in a contract. The later units were Z-Barted as rust was a problem
  in earlier units so to make lighter gauge steel units was not even
  considered much less discussed. AND besides, the jeep is a unitized body
  and to use a lighter gauge steel would be ludicrous for tactical duty. AM
  General was developing the Humvee in the late 70's and were in production by
  late 1983. The old Studebaker plant was the factory for M-151A2's in South
  Bend, Indiana and was completely shut down after that. The property still
  stands and is currently a storage warehouse for a private concern. The test
  track beside it (400 acres or so) is a Humvee training/proving ground. There
  were no aluminum bodied A2's produced there and the AMG factory is not aware
  of any either. I think Ford experimented with some aluminum bodies in the
  early 60's but not sure of that.>>