First start up for Rebuilt engine

From: David (davejodi@epix.net)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 17:11:11 PDT

Hi List,

I finally got the 1954 M38A1 to the point where I could hook up a small
fuel supply and start the engine. ( The exhaust pipe isn't on yet)
Well it cranks over smartly, but it won't fire up. I verified spark at
all of the plugs, double checked the timing, and adjusted the valves
again ( .018 intake and .016 exhaust) The best I can get is backfiring
out of the carb (and that's not too good; scared the boy the first
time) It still won't start and it got too dark to fool with it any more
tonight.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dave in PA