M-Series Classifications, Help Me Understand

From: Jim Allen (jimallen@onlinecol.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 00:53:45 PDT

I need to properly understand the M-series classifications for something
I'm writing. I understand that the systems were different from WWII to post
WWII, but I don't know if they changed again. Is there a website that
explains it, or a not-to-hard-to-find publication (I'm on a deadline). If
anyone can give me an overview, I'd be grateful, but here are some specific
questions.

1) When did the experimental designations change from T-??? to XM-???

2) What are the B,C, and D classifications seen after the M-number.

3) How was the equipment divided up for their M-numbers. There could be an
M-2 wrecker, an M-2 armored car, an M-2 helmet and an M-2 bicycle at the
same time. With regards to vehicles, how were they divided up?

        Many thanks for your help!

        Jim Allen