Re: [MV] MVPA Update on HR 4205

From: t.glance@att.net
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 08:00:37 PDT

You must be seeing an update that I am not. All the one
I just read said was that they had retained a lobbyist
and that their GOAL was to see sections 361 & 362
removed. It in no way suggested that they are making any
headway other than vague statements like "We are
advancing on all fronts". In fact, other than telling us
the name of the previously secret lobbyist all it does
is tell us stuff we already know. It is everyones goal
to see sections 361 and 362 removed, and it was reported
on this list some time ago that the committee resumes
its work on the 5th. Have we really learned anything
else from this update?

As it stands, the language is still in the bill. Until
it is out, we cannot even begin to declare victory.
Period.

Another good question is, what do we do after this
battle. I would suggest going on the offensive, lobbying
for bills that would, say, make it easier for museums to
get vehicles for display, reverse the demil rulings on
HMMWV's, declare all HMV's exempt from DOT standards
(such as HMMWV's), allow the import of foreign HMV's
that are less than 25 years old, allow armor to be
driven on public roads, protect HMV's and other surplus
from seizure, and so forth. We would never get all we
ask for, but even if the compromise we are still
gaining. Put the other side on the defensive for a
change. Like the old saying goes, tell your date you
wnat her roommate too, and compromise down to what you
are really after.