Re: [MV] CA hardtop law?

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 04:38:15 PDT

Mark wrote:
>That's what the DMV will tell you, but the CHP says that you must
>*primarily* drive it to and from parades and events. There's a big
>difference between "only" and "primarily".
My insurance specifies primarily, while NJ law says only (not even a
little drive to keep the batteries charged).
Though I encounter major problems with the police in NJ while on my
Harley or in my custom van, 1970's vintage, still the same as when
I worked it over in '75, I never get hassled while in one of my historic
tagged mil-vehicles. Case in point: Yesterday I had to move several
deuces around to make room for incoming trucks and a storage
container. I was "blind siding" a deuce in with my 5-ton wrecker when
I noticed a white car coming down the road. I thought, oh well, they'll
see my flashing amber convy/warning lights and slow down, so I
continued backing in, blocking the road as I did so. As I straightened
up, I see that the white car is a NJ State Trooper. Wow! Here I am
with Historical Vehicle plates on the wrecker towing an unregistered
(a no-no) deuce and using rotating warning lights without a permit.
Done, walking papers, sold the farm, major ticket time? Nope, the
very kind trooper just waved me on to continue my backing in! Joe
gets to spend another day out of the confines of a jail cell!
I just read the posting concerning the canceling of insurance if using
Historical Vehicle plates and insurance. This has crossed my mind
every time I go out for a casual drive, so I certainly use extra caution.
It's a technical point, but I know how nasty insurance companies can
be.
Joe "MV Trucker" Young
Ps: Stop and see me if you attend Tobyhanna. I'll be in the vending area.