[MV] M38A1 Questions (Shackles and Brake Lines)

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 11:22:02 PST

>Lastly, I see the brake lines that come off the master cylinder are copper
>(certainly copper colored). They appear to be stock. I was always told
>that copper brake lines are a big no-no. Are these Mil-Spec lines of a
>stronger alloy? Has anyone else encountered copper brake lines on their
>MVs? All the brake lines are rust free and were easily dissasembled. Any
>opinions on replacing the copper lines?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Allen in Seattle
>'55 M38A1

You might have a copper clad brake line.It would be of a steel core with a
very thin copper outer cover.If you have a good look at the flared end you
should be able to see it,also put a magnet to it to see if it sticks.
Some brake lines and especially the better quality ones available now are
copper clad or aluminized or anodized to prevent rust.
Early Land Rovers used copper brake lines as well.I think these were more
ment for use around ship yards and wetter areas,marine useage of the
sort.The down fall of the copper lines is the work hardening will lead to
cracks but that theory is hard to prove when I have a 1959 unit as a regular
driver still using the original brake lines copper and rubber flex lines(the
factory recommends flex lines be replaced every 5000miles)(yeah right)and I
have a 69 that had the steel lines replaced about 10 years ago and now they
are very rusty so much so I don't like the looks of it.
Andre