CUCV Tail light Screws

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 14:07:10 PDT

In my original posting of goodie parts to find for your CUCV, the only part
number I left out (not on purpose) was the NAPA number for the replacement
tail light lens screws. Well, several folks emailed me trying to find out
that number and myself to find out that NAPA has discontinued/made obsolete
that particular screw. I didn't know screws became obsolete! I did some
sourcing and found out the original manufacturer/supplier of that screw.
Before I get to that point, let's cover this first: This particular screw
has a sub-GM part number and it is: 11504655. You will not find that number
in any GM book and most likely, they will have to order it and they come in
a package of 10. They are about $1 each making the package about $10 list
price. Now, the original screw is almost like a #8 size 3/4" long but
Chevrolet and the replacement size is metric. The metric size is (M-4.2)
1.41 X 20 MM with a M8 torx size head. The original Chevrolet used a
slightly smaller Torx size head AND had a built on flat washer to help keep
the plastic lens from splitting if torqued too tightly. The GM number might
have the flat washers on them but I'm not paying $1 each to find out. The
replacement screws can be used very satisfactorily if you don't screw them
down too tight! Snugly and NOT tightened too much is just fine. Why you
need these screws is that they are made of stainless steel and they don't
rust. Civilian screws were chrome plated and the military ones are silver
oxided to give the subdued effect. These are also the same for mounting the
front fender side marker lenses. The screws are shown in the parts
breakdown on the Chevy computer but NO part numbers are given so you are on
your own here.

Now for the good part. Balkamp was the supplier for NAPA. The company who
supplied them to Balkamp is F A Nider Company who supplies the "LSP PRODUCTS
GROUP". They handle the same package that NAPA did. They come two ways,
package of 9 part #194-0065 and package of 25 part #794-0065. These are
also the same for mounting the front fender side marker lenses. What you
need to do is find a local supplier who handles the "LSP PRODUCTS GROUP"
line. You can find out who your nearest supplier for the LSP line is by
calling 1-800-327-7225 and asking the operator for the info of the nearest
jobber of this product.

Just in case your local NAPA has any old stock, the numbers for their
Balkamp line was 665-2029 for the bag of 9 and 665-2030 for the box of 50.
(NAPA had box of 50 and LSP has box of 25)

Julian Burke