US Mounted Recon in Italy in WW2

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 14:08:18 PDT

Howdy list,
    Ok, since I'm always looking for the odd or off-beat, I'm looking into
the Provisional Mounted Reconnaissance troop of the Fifth (US) Army. They
were from the 3rd Infantry Division. There's a photo of them in the "US Army
Handbook 1939-1945" by George Forty.
    I can't tell what kind of saddle they're using. Has anyone else seen any
other photos or info on this unit? Would the saddle have been 1904 or 1928
McClellan saddles or were they captured German or Italian military saddles.
If so, are the German or Italian saddle still available in rideable
condition? Or are they reproduced. I know that in the early days after
D-Day, the US Airborne used captured German horses, but I haven't heard about
how the Recon. got their saddles in Italy.

Thanks,
Brian Mead

P.S. Yes this is really MV related! =^) I think it would be a neat
impression to do at a Military Timeline.