M37 Tire/bumper changeover questions.

From: Enterprise B&B (enterprise@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 07:21:55 PDT

Thanks to a lot of reading and input re this list, I am considering some
changes to my my 1965 (USMC) M37. Right now I have 9.00 X 20 tires/rims. I
am told standard are 9.00 X16 which for one thing would probably account
for why the tires/rims are larger than the door (which I found when I was
considering changing the rear mounted tire to a door mount). I'm figuring
the former owner, who used the unit for some serious off-road playing, put
on the larger tires. So my questions here are: Is it unreasonably expensive
to change back to 9.00X16? Any pro/con thoughts here?

Also, I have a single piece front bumper which is somewhat bent/twisted on
one side. As we know, this isn't the type of thing one can use a hammer to
straighten and in fact, I don't know how it would be done. I'm considering
changing to the dual front bumpers even though I don't have a winch to fit
between and won't be getting one. Any thoughts here including cost and what
I would do w/the leftover bumper. Figure it's not salable due to condition
and weight.
Oh yes, I did notice four holes drilled through the body just in front of
the drivers side door w/some serious reenforcement welded to the opposite
area just inside the cab. This gives me the impression this unit originally
had a door mounted spare and it was changed over to the rear mount.

Anyway, input on any or all of the above thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks.

David