M35A2 problem

From: Rick Welker (rickw_17030@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 13:28:37 PDT

Last night while driving the M35 I began to have a
problem. The engine (LDT-465-1C) will "surge" while
trying to accelerate and a different tone is heard
from the exhaust. No missing or smoke. Sometimes it
will pull really well; sometimes it's a dog. Fuel
filters were changed when I bought it less than a year
ago; I've put about 80 hours on it since. I drained
the filters last night and only got clean fuel from
them. Clean fuel all the time (I fuel other vehicles
at the same source) and fuel cetane improver and
lubricatant (FPPF brand)whenever I put fuel in it.
The truck really pulls strong at it's best; it pulls
lousy at it's worst. Also when at it's worst it seems
to self govern at about 2150 rpm. My guess is the
fuel compensator or governer. Also took notice that
the small return line from the turbo and the return
lines from the injectors had air in them. I never took
notice if this is normal or if it is new. Any
suggestions? I've heard about some multifuels having
the compensator bypassed or unhooked. That would not
be a problem as I only run diesel anyway. Thanks, Rick