Never Assume Govmint Mechanic Knows What He's Doing

From: John Bowen (oreuc@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 17:57:29 PDT

I recently purchased a M1028, via GSA, that came out of Border Patrol
Service. Since trailering it home I have digging around under the hood to
see what I have.

The Border Patrol did a 12V conversion that looked a crude but after putting
in new batteries I could get it to crank and finally fire up. Hot starts
have been a snap but cold starts have been a hassle, which I have been
writing off to pump problems since I can see a fuel leak at the throttle
shaft.

Today I began looking a little closer at the wiring situation, particularly
the firewall resistor that normally drops the 24V feed to 12V for the glow
plug circuit. As it turns out the wrench twisters in the Border Patrol
motorpool left the resistor wired in so that a whopping 6 volts has been
going to the glow plug circuits.

I find it hard to believe that no one caught this before. However had this
truck assigned must have cussed every time they had to get it started. They
clearly didn't follow the forestry service recommendations for 24V to 12V
conversions.

J.D.

'43 MB
'68 M715