[MV] M1008 alt. problem

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 05:02:57 PDT

List,
One of my alternator dash lights is out, the right side light. I tried
swapping the bulbs, but it still didn't light. I pulled the small wire
off of the left side alternator and checked for voltage (key on) and
it's dead. Is this wire the exciter? On the right side, I tested for
voltage on the smaller wire (this one does not appear to unplug)
by pushing the voltmeter probe down into the connection on the
end of the wire and got 24 volts. This came as a surprise as I
expected to find 12 volts.
Any trouble shooting info will certainly be appreciated.
Joe Young