1941 MB Painted Tan?

From: DENGOP@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 10:04:54 PDT

  Hey MVers, I need some help. I just saved a 1941 MB from a barn in rural
Tn. (See they are still out there) This one is all orginal, handles,square
footman loops,tool brackets, even the data plates are in great shape. The
body needs help but it will be fun to work on. Anyway, everywhere we have
sanded we have found tan paint over red primer, then metal. No hood numbers
were raised. It looks like this jeep was painted tan at the factory. DOD was
23,DEC 1941, Ser.#105993. Gross weight was listed as 3125#. It had a PTO
mounted behind the Trans. and it has a "Vehicle Hours" gauge mounted in the
dash. Did the US paint vehicles tan at the factory? Was this a British
Lend/Lease Jeep going to North Africa? I want to put her back the way she was.
             Thanks for any help,
             Dennis Goins in Nashville
             MVPA#19430