Re: [MV] M35A2 problem

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 07:34:44 PDT

In a message dated 9/17/00 8:00:43 AM Central Daylight Time,
rickw_17030@yahoo.com writes:

<< the turbo has a fuel line entering it (low pressure,
 about 5/16th) and a smaller line exiting it which is
 semi-clear plastic.

I know what you mean, but others on the list may not, this line does NOT go
to the turbo, it goes to the flame heater, which is installed in the intake
elbow, to which the turbo is attached.

<<This small (about 1/8") line then
 goes (as I can recall) to be tee'd into the injector
 return lines.

yep

 How can
 you tell on your truck that the compensator was
 bypassed;

The part of the injection pump nearest the rear of the truck is the governor,
the device directly on top of it is the fuel density compensator. The fuel
line from the fuel filter will be screwed into a tee on the back of the
density compensator. The other branch of the tee has a hose running it to
the back of the injection pump hydraulic head (kind looks like distributor
cap, but with steel fuel lines instead of plug wires). If compensator has
been bypassed the line runs directly from fuel filter to hydraulic head.

  Although with the M35's in tank
> pump it would have to
> originate in the tank. Replace that short piece or
> rubber fuel hose that
> feed the pump with clear vinyl one (temporarily)
> and see if you are getting
> air in the fuel system from the in tank pump.

Also check for debris in the tank. I once found a rag, which would float
around for a while before finding its way to the intank pump inlet, which it
would block and starve the engine for fuel. Shut the truck off, it would
float away eventually, restart the truck and it would run fine, then
eventually the cycle would repeat itself. Not at all uncommon for the rubber
hose on the side of the intank pump to split.

Hope this helps,
David