Re: [MV] Merlin sounds

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 00:20:03 PDT

Ironically I could not hear the Merlin engine of the Spitfire today as she
flew over as she was led around by a Harvard (whose pilot could probably
find our clearing in the dense forset!). As old Air Force types will tell
you, there is nothing as loud as a Harvard (AT-6 Texan) unless it is a whole
flock of them. It drowned out the sweet purr of the Merlin!!!!!

OK OK , I know, the CF18, Lancaster, etc. etc. etc. are LOUDER than a
Harvard - let's just admit that a Harvard is noisy.

I did pay for the fuel on a Harvard once, to go on a half hour flight. pilot
let me take the controls which was NICE! So different from a Cessna! He even
had me 'straff' a pleasure boat!

Don't worry lads, I did not shoot up any MVs.

Compulsory military content: Ever wonder why German WWII vehicles are so
scarce today? Well, other than the fact that they used so many horses, when
one reads about the scores of the 2nd Tactical Air Force in Normandy,
especially at Falaise Gap for example, one wonders how ANY of them survived!

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor MAPLE LEAF UP (Est. 1977) newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB