Unrelated MV Subject-Player Pianos

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 06:19:45 PDT

This is a little off topic and I don't normally do this but I thought this
would have appeal to many MV enthusiasts as well as helping Mr. Bullock out.
Music was important to the soldiers too! It also fits the time frame of
many of us too! All of these player pianos may need rebuilding, but if you
can rebuild an engine, you can do this too. As he states: They are all
complete and are worthy. I know this individual in St. Louis, Mo. and he is
a very knowledgeable and nice person. He has a large piano rebuilding shop
there and are certainly one of the few left who can do this. He is like us
in the fact that someday, we will lose our storage too. Pianos are smaller
than an MV! In perhaps 10 years from now, this may be "The good 'ole days"!
Here is a real deal and would certainly help him out. For those of you who
may be interested, here is his text from Mechanical Music Digest: All of
his contact phone numbers are at the end of the posting.

Subject: Player Pianos Need Homes

My building is going to be getting a gut rehab. They are spending
millions on it. I now have to MOVE! Please help! If you ever wanted
a player piano from me now is the time to act. I do not want to move
and store all of these. I would like to ship you as many as you can
rebuild in the next five years. I have about $300 invested in purchase
and moving in each of these. I don't even count rent on storage of them.

However, Now for the next week or until I have to move them, I will sell
them to you for $100. each. That only recoups part of one move. Plus,
the sixth one is free. If you move one by Keyboard carriage it will
cost as much as $550.-$650.(to either coast). However, last time I
moved 6 of them to Oregon, they cost $125. each to move. You can bring
your U-Hauls and horse trailers and we will help load. Some of you get
together and move all yours in the same Keyboard carriage truck and
save yourself a bundle.

As stated before all pianos are complete and on the one or two that
weren't, I put in an exact replacement part from my parts collection.
These pianos have never been screwed up by anyone. I have a couple
that have been dismantled in case you brave souls can handle those.
All parts seem to be there. I have a couple that have been restored
at. I cannot vouch for the quality but others this same guy did just
needed what he neglected redone. His work was done 10 years ago so
expect to replace Durrell's heavy bellows cloth

You can find the incomplete list in the archives. Sorry I do not have
time to get you an up to date one. I only have one Schulz and three
Gulbransens. I have several of most kinds of player systems. I am not
selling my mini players (Starck) as they will be used for promotion in
the future. No oak cases are left (I may have one of the Gulbransens
in oak). Very few Walnut cases are left. Mostly mahogany and no art
cases are included among these at this price. Semi art cases can go,
though. These may have a decorative piece at the top corners or at the
top of the leg. Tell me what you are looking for and I will pick one
out for you. I have a couple of Angelus Artrios as well at this price.
I have never had an unhappy customer for any of these that sold.

I have several reproducers, upright and grand, that are available but
expect to pay nearer market price for them.

I may not be able to ever offer lower prices like these or the ones I
offered in the past. My new location is likely to cost me a fortune so
I am afraid the super cheap player piano will not be available from me
any more. They are not making any more of these players. I don't know
anywhere you can get this variety of brands with almost 200 players to
choose from.

Opportunity knocks! If you are in one of those areas where you have to
pay well over $1000. for these same pianos, then come on down. I do not
have trashed or gutted players. These were all purchased because they
are good restorable. The chicken coop pianos have all been dismantled
for parts as no one can afford the additional repair when they are that
bad. This collection is just the cream of restorable players from an
area that used to have lots of them. Our supply may be dwindling even
here in St. Louis.

I also have several small pipe organs if you prefer.

D.L. Bullock Piano World St. Louis

800-589-5824 shop
314-231-2073 shop
314-776-7551 home