Recovering a WC13

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 21:28:35 PDT

Hi list.
Today I did not work on my Scout Car....(again).....see previous
transmission.. (big grin!) :-)
I did however go recover my friend, Bryan's, first mil veh aquisition.....a
1941 Dodge WC13 open cab 1/2 ton weapon carrier. Bryan's job caused him to
be out of town when he was supposed to go get the truck so I got the duty.

Here is the story.

My 18' 12,000# GVWR Trailmaster trailer has been sitting next to the
sandblasting tent for a year. Having no other jobs for it to do, it has
served me well as a large flat table for laying out Scout Car parts and
whatnot. But today it was needed. The registration had expired and my wife
graciously went out and renewed it to the tune of $114.00 in preparation for
the move (that's only 23 gallons of UK petrol....ARGH....so I ain't
complaining!) Since my police partner and I carpool to work, we took the
truck and trailer in order to go get the old Dodge after work. Now, the
parking lot at work is filled with police cars and officer's personal cars
and the layout of the lot changes with each shift change so I parked taking
up 4 spaces so as not to get parked in since the rig is pretty darned long.
After work, many of the guys from the shift were passing by the trailer,
oooooh-ing and aaaaaah-ing. Enter Bill, my partner. Now if my life was a
movie, Bill would be the comic relief. Bill was standing there with the
rig, chest all puffed out and taking in all the admiring oohs and aahs. In
a state of testosterone induced psychosis he hopped behind the wheel of the
truck in order to drive us out of there which I thought was pretty damned
strange (since I always drive) but I guessed Bill wanted to show
off.......and show off he did! He turned too soon or too sharp (take your
pick) and dragged the trailer right across the left rear corner of a brand
new Chevy Malibu causing some scrapes and a lovely red paint transfer onto
that beautiful silver car! OOOPS. So we ran the registration of the car
and found it belonged to Bill's friend, Willie, on the police Negotiation
Team. My trailer, by the way, suffered absolutely no damage.
Bill borrowed my cel phone after we got underway (I took over the driving)
and Bill called Willie, and the conversation (that I could hear) went
something like this dramatic reenactment......
Willie, this is Bill. (pause as Willie responds) Got some good news and
some bad news for ya, buddy. (pause as Willie responds) (Bill says in a
school yard sing-song voice...) Do you have a silver Malibu? (pause as
Willie responds) (Bill sounding serious with a hint of 'ain't-it-a-shame'
in his voice) Someone did a hit and run on your new car here in the lot,
buddy. (loud exclamation, then long pause as Willie responds) Yeh, the
good news is we know who did it. (really long pause as Willie undoubtedly
proclaims a death sentence on the perpetrator) (Bill responds
sheepishly...) Well it was me. (super long pause, raised voice... Willie
is probably having to be restrained by coworkers on his end.) No bullets,
Willie! If you kill me I can't pay for the damages, Willie! (Willie
continues being loud at other end of line) Jeez, Willie, get a grip!
You're supposed to be a freakin' negotiator fer Chrissakes!
After that, the recovery of the WC13 was a breeze...no problems....easy as
pie....smooth as silk. Bill had pre-disasterized us in the parking lot at
work. And for once...Bill's shenanigans didn't cost me a dime. (huge grin)
:-) So another mil vehicle is in the driveway of someone who will love it
and care for it. All's well that ends well!
Keep em Rollin!
TJ