Re: [MV] 6.2 Liter woes

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 08:29:48 PDT

> I started changing the glow plugs on my 6.2L diesel M1009.
> I got six of the eight to come out. The other two are too far gone to
pull out.
> How hard should I try to get these? Vice Grips? Hammer? Pry Bar?
> Or should I leave them alone and wait until the ends burn off (will that
happen
> eventually?)

This is never a good situation and there are no "correct" answers to it
either. What I have done in the past with good results is attach a small
pair of vise-grips to the affected plug and with a crowbar or similiar is to
pry the plug out; BUT there is a bit of "magic" here as you DON"T just jerk
it out. A firm, slowly but forward manner without stopping usually does the
trick. If you jerk it, you will surely pop the deformed tip off. If you
firmly prize it out without stopping and not be to slow about it, it usually
comes out in one piece. If you pop it off, you might be able to access it
out through the injector port. If a piece of it comes off, it will have to
come out before starting the engine or damage will occur. This is what I do
and hope it helps. Julian Burke