Little things'll get ya

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 17:37:58 PDT

Hi List,

Yesterday I spent a good part of the day harvesting brake parts and seals
off the steering axle of my Greek Scout for use on the other one. I
dutifully repacked the bearings before putting everything back on because
even though the Greek Scout will never reach highway speeds under its own
power again dry bearings don't do well when they're just sitting. The Greek
Scout never rolled worth a darn (took three determined men to move just the
chassis and driveline by hand) and this was mostly because the brakes were
dragging on the drums. If you have been following along, you know I've
already gone in and removed the rear brakes.

Getting the hubs off is a very straightforward task and this time around was
quite a bit easier because I finally went out and bought the correct hub nut
tool. Anyway, when I removed the drum a sliver of metal fell out that
looked like a toenail clipping off of Bigfoot. What the heck it THAT
from?!? Well, I looked around and found that it was part of the flange off
of the head of one of the studs......that being the studs that the lugnuts
go on. Whoa, glad I wasn't going to actually drive this thing!. I looked a
little closer at the remaining studs and ALL the flanges were showing signs
of stress from having been repeatedly over-tightened. (I believe the proper
military phrasiology for this situation is FUBAR) This raised my level of
awareness about former MV's because if it can happen to one....it can happen
to another. So next time you service YOUR brakes or bearings, do yourself
and everyone else a favor and take the time to have a look.

Keep em Rollin!
TJ