Floyd Spence

From: Kelly, Robert (Robert_Kelly@FCEINC.COM)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 06:25:28 PDT

Hi all,

I joined the American Legion a while back at the request of my Father in
Law. Along with membership to some really inexpensive beer joints, you also
recieve their monthly publication. In this publication ("Legion"), there was
an article about Floyd Spence, the fellow that I was under the impression
was only involved in name with HR 4202. In this article, the guy is sounding
off like he has been working on this thing for months and months and has
practically written it himself.

I thought this was interesting because many of the posts on the list
indicated that the bill was only to be named after the guy, he was retiring,
blah, blah, blah.

The Honorable Mr. Spence does in fact appear to be chairman of the Armed
Services Committee, a veteran, and pro military spending. Some of the guys
views I thought were a bit alarmist and far to the right, but at least he
wanted (or appeared to want) to make life a little better for Armed service
members.

All this seemed at odds with the part of the bill that required destruction
of all things military. It also seemed at odds with a small article in the
magazine about the guy who retrieved the P-38 Lightning from Greenland or
the North Pole or whatever (I am going to check out their website later -
look under Ghost Squadron). (required MV content).

Just thought this was interesting. By the way, maybe I missed it, what ever
happened to HR4202? Is it no longer an issue (for now)?

Thanks,

Bob K.