SUSV Story

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 10:58:16 PDT

List,

>From 1986 to 1991 I was a member of the 205th Support Battalion, 205th
Infantry Brigade (USAR), located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We were
"capstoned" to the 6th Infantry Division located at Fort Richardson, Alaska.
In the event of war, we became the third brigade of the 6th ID.

In about 1989 we received a shipment of 60 brand new SUSV's. They were
supposed to have been shipped to the 6th ID, but, after they arrived in
Minnesota, somebody figured out what it would cost to ship them the rest of
the way to Alaska and decided that the money could be better spent
elsewhere. We were supposed to have received the used SUSV's from the 6th
ID, after they had received the new ones. We were not allowed to use the new
vehicles, just maintain them.

A couple of years after I left the 205th, it was deactivated. So... sometime
in about 1993 the SUSV's that had been parked in Minnesota for about 4 years
got shipped away. Since they aren't used much in the "lower 48", I'm
assuming that they were eventually shipped to Forts Richardson and
Wainwright. The only other choice would have been for them to be shipped to
Fort McCoy, in Wisconsin, because that was the turn-in point for Minnesota.
If they did, indeed, get shipped to Alaska, they would have probably been
sent to the 6th ID. I seem to recall that the 6th ID has since been
deactivated, although I could be wrong.

Long story, but what I was trying to say is that these SUSV's could very
well be the same ones that sat in Minnesota for 4 years. If so, they have
only been in use for about 7 years. Not a lot of time for a military
vehicle. By the way, these were the Volvo version of the SUSV. Hope somebody
is able to make good use of them.

John

John Hutterer
Sen. Eng. Lab. Tech.