RE: [MV] The VOICE & My favorite wrench

From: Rikk Rogers (rkltd@fullnet.net)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 15:03:51 PDT

TJ, I believe you are an MV poet!

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Timothy Smith
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 6:54 PM
To: Military Vehicles Mailing List
Subject: [MV] The VOICE & My favorite wrench

Hi list,

Didn't get much done on the Scout this week....I have pulled the rear axle
shafts and drums and will strip the brake parts off tonight in preparation
for sandblasting the brake backing plates. Oddly, four of the eight holes
in the axle shaft flange (through which the retaining studs pass) are
tapered and have tapered collars that centers the studs (and by extension,
centers the flange on the hub) when the retaining nuts are drawn down tight.
Bearings and seals appear to be quite healthy. Rear brake shoes are nearly
new so between those and the best set harvested from the Greek Scout I have
a full set of really good brake linings. Of the 8 total wheel cylinders I
have I am reasonably certain that I will have at least four that are
rebuildable.

We took Bryan's WC13 off the trailer about Wednesday after inspecting the
emergency brake for signs of life. Bryan has a little boy named Riley who
is about 4. This means that short of removing the wheels and lowering the
truck to the ground Riley, if left unsupervised for even a moment, will find
a way of (1) getting the truck rolling and (2) getting his small body and
head beneath the wheels. So we will chock the wheels and make other efforts
to make things safe for Bryan's offspring.

Now, loading and unloading vehicles from the trailer (for me anyways) has
always been no big deal particularly when the vehicle being loaded or
unloaded is not my own, but for Bryan, the moment his FIRST MV stopped in
his driveway.....well, you know the feeling if you've ever brought home a
broken down old MV. It's the moment of truth....when the reality-pigeons
come home to roost before crapping all over your mind. Remember the voice?
You know the voice.... It's the logical part of your brain screaming at the
creative part of your brain, "LOOK WHAT YOU DID LOOK WHAT YOU BROUGHT HOME
AND PUT IN OUR DRIVEWAY ARE YOU CRAZY ONLY A LUNATIC WOULD THINK OF
UNDERTAKING A PROJECT LIKE THIS THE NEIGHBORS WILL RUN US OUT OF TOWN ON A
RAIL!" Well, Bryan's eyes kind of glazed over and he paused for a moment,
became very still, and you could tell he was hearing..........THE
VOICEthevoicethevoicethevoice* (*echo added for creepy Halloween effect.)
Well, his truck will eventually come around with some good honest labor. We
shall see if he's up to the task.

As always, every little task on the Scout Car seems like it involves my
favorite wrench; a handy little 9/16 - 5/8 box end job of questionable
origin. Call me sentimental but I cannot remember a time when I didn't have
that wrench. Not that I am any loss for tools! I have air ratchets and I
have hand ratchets. Heck I even have some tools that I've never picked up
because I favor of some of the "old friends" in the toolbox. Somehow, the
air ratchet is too danged noisy ( I can't think when it's howling and I do
some of my best thinking while I'm quietly wrenching ) besides, the air
hose gets in the way. The hand ratchet is a beautiful tool; quality
chromium plating and lines like an Italian race car, it gets the job done
too fast and too handily. I like the feel of the wrench. It's not awkward
like the others. I'm working on antiques and its the "antique" way of doing
the work. It has a nice balance to it and it fits in my hand well. I like
the feel of the nut turning on the threads of the bolt. Ohmigosh, I'VE
BECOME THE ZEN MECHANIC!.....well maybe not...... but I can plan ahead on
the task at hand without all the noise and speed. So....am I crazy? Who
knows.....Who cares?! By the way, have I told you about my favorite
screwdriver?..............

Keep em rollin!
TJ