US Navy for X8 generatorset

From: buka (buka@wxs.nl)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 04:42:02 PDT

Hi MV-listers,

This morning I made a visit to my great-uncles scrapyard. I was tipped he
had some helmets laying around. These turned out to be WW2 dated British
helmets. More interesting was the item my uncle said he had somewhere laying
around. After several attempts finding the item, he pointed at a great olive
drab box. Take a look at it he said. Inside the box was a generator set. On
top of the box is a little tag which says:

US Navy for X8
Case CS-98-AX8
Ser. No. 2010 9 (anchor)5
Order No nobs18867
Jacobsen MFG.CO
Racine Wis.USA

The generator itself is covered with an OD canvas cover which has "US Navy
for X8" stamped on it. On the generator is a tag which says "Model A-5
generator". I believe I read the set could produce 24 Volts.

Can any of you help me with info on this item? For example: was it used on
military vehicles? What period could this date from? What was it used for?
etc.

Of course I might want to save this item from being scrapped!

Greetings Dennis Buijs
White Star website
http://home.planet.nl/~whitestar