The sludge monster crime scene

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 20:45:28 PDT

Hi list,
Work on the Scout car continues....As I am running low on cash (I knew I
would sooner or later) So, I have been doing the little laborious items
that take, not a strong wallet, but a weak mind. While standing for hours
at the bench grinder (with wire wheel) cleaning up hundreds of little brake
components I have come to the conclusion that restoring a mil-veh is like
eating a s--- sandwich...the more bread you've got the less s--- you've got
to eat. Luckily I've had a pretty good week selling on eBay and will soon
be able to spend on the Scout again. Also, I have enough experience with
this sort of thing that I have set aside low budget / high labor tasks for
those inevitable times when the cash pipeline has a knot in it. (Vehicle
Restorer wannabe's with small budgets please read that last sentence again
once or twice as memorizing it would serve you well.)

The parts cleaner is one of those things that makes those laborious jobs SO
much nicer but requires some maintenance itself from time to time. My parts
baskets were coming up with some pretty wild looking goo clinging to the
legs so I figured it was time to empty it out and give it a good cleaning.
Well, I drained off the kerosene (yes, there is probably something out there
MUCH better but that's what I got) and there it was.....THE SLUDGE MONSTER.
All that sunlight must have stunned it because it just laid there staring up
at me with its beady little eyes. I took my four inch scraper and began to
separate it from the bottom of the bin when, WHAT THE HECK?!...... It seems
that Buzz Lightyear and one of the Power Rangers teamed up to do battle with
the sludge monster. Well, they lost...BIG time. In fact, they were
partially digested when I found their remains. Their pocket change (36
cents) fared much better than they did. I recovered what appeared to be
their last ditch weapons (a small screw driver and some rocks.) I felt like
I was at a crime scene. It must have been one helluva fight. Wish I could
have seen it....I wonder if my daughter did?

As always, let's Keep em Rollin'!
TJ